Hello! Welcome to my page! Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Sarah Canon. I love Jesus, adventure, anything athletic, books, and capturing/enjoying the beauty of the world around me.
My Family & The Logo
I grew up in a house on a hill with a family of ten. Being the second oldest of eight kids (six girls and two boys), my life has been extremely chaotic and I absolutely agree that my parents are crazy. However, my large family gave me a very unique experience for life, and it has shaped me into me. My logo branches as a symbol for my family: not only is it the shape of an 8 to recognize all of my siblings and myself, but it is also made up of my initials (SC) to remind me of my family name. I do not own an actual studio (yet), and my work is simply a hobby at this point, so this isn't a professional business or anything, but I enjoy what I do and I cannot wait to see where it goes!
Future goals: Because of that crowded house on a hill, I became a blend of many interests and abilities. I would love to use these to help advance the education of the next generation by working with a variety of teams to write textbooks, create documentaries, or even work one-on-one with students. I am devoted to developing others into unique individuals with a broad perspective--who understand and love the people, world, and life around them.
A peek into my family life:
Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2014-2017
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
B.S. in Technical Communication with a minor in Critical Studies in Design and a Leadership Certificate. GPA: 3.65; Dean’s List for all semesters. Degree received in May of 2017.
Financed by: The Muriel & Bruce Hach Scholarship; H.S. Ostlin Memorial Scholarship; Craig Hansen and Judith-Ralston Hansen Liberal Arts & Sciences Scholarship; ISU Academic Scholarship; Ames Rotary Scholarship; Beta Tau Delta Scholarship; Kiwanis Club of Ames Scholarship; Grace Bauske Memorial Scholarship; the Walvoord Family Scholarship, and the Scott Berryhill Scholarship
Des Moines Area Community College, Ames, IA, 2012-2014
Dual-enrolled while in high school, reaching towards a degree in Technical Communications with an emphasis in Visual Communications. GPA: 3.8/4.0
Placed on the President’s List, presented with the Platinum Certificate and the Academy Award Certificate in Visual Communications.
Financed by: Ames High School
- Member of the Wearables Research Collaboratory - UMN
- Social Media and Marketing Manager for the Great Plains Alliance for Computers and Writing (GPACW) 21st Annual Conference - UMN
- Manager for Iowa State University Women’s Basketball - ISU
- Vice President/Secretary/Webmaster of Circle K International - ISU
- Member of the Society of Technical Communicators - ISU
- Cardinal Mentor - ISU
- Student Leader for The Salt Company Ministry - ISU and UMN
- Visual Communications Team (photography and videography) with The International Friendship Connection (IFC) and The Salt Company Ministry through Cornerstone Church - ISU
- Intramural ultimate frisbee - ISU
The African Lion and Environmental Research Trust, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, June 2016-August 2016
Intern for the wildlife photography/videography and conservation projects: partnering with the research team to photographically document animals in Zambezi National Park; creating a short informational documentary for the human-wildlife conflict mitigation research project; developing promotional videos for available volunteer projects; assisting with logistical data. 40+ hours per week.
Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, June 2014-Present
Manager for the Iowa State University Women’s Basketball team: assisting with summer basketball camps, preparing supplies, running the clock, cleanup, transportation, typing and binding forms, traveling to every game, taking stats, filming, and making sure everything runs smoothly. 10-30 hours per week, depending on the time in the season.
Child & Pet Care 2007-Present
Taking care of children and walking dogs multiple times weekly.
Skills & Interests
Photography: Wildlife, weddings, senior and family portraits, as well as my own artistic images.
Scholastics Art & Writing Awards include: three Gold Keys, two Silver Keys, one Honorable Mention.
- Proficient in Adobe products, including: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Premier.
- Expert in Microsoft Office applications, such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Knowledge in Computer Aided Design (CAD) programs.
- Architect of the website for Iowa State's chapter of Circle K International
- Creating unique business cards for local individuals
- Designer of announcements, tickets and posters for the annual Meeker Elementary Daddy-Daughter Dance
- Generator of the annual Circle 5K t-shirt design
- Producer of invitations and posters for the 45th Ames High Class of 1969 Reunion
- Developed posters for Ames High’s food packaging event through Meals from the Heartland
- Head of computer and video recording/editing for Ames High basketball games (2012-2014)
- Creator of various documentaries, historical information and literature interpretation videos
Backpacking, water skiing, kayaking, rollerblading, biking, French, reading, writing (published on The Orange Journal), basketball, cooking/baking, art history, interior design, and architecture.
Volunteer & Service Activities
- Tech Team (computer graphics and audio/lighting setup) for Salt City Church (Fall 2017-Present)
- Raising Readers summer mentor/tutor (2014-2017)
- Nursery volunteer for Cornerstone Church (infants-3rd grade; 2005-2017)
- Jack Trice Stadium clean-up crew after every home football game (Fall 2015-2017)
- Packaging meals for The Hunger Fight with Meals from the Heartland (Fall 2015)
- Project Linus group work and donation of blankets (Annually, Fall 2015-2017)
- Working the children's craft booth at the annual Octagon Arts Festival (Fall 2014)
- Volunteer at the henna booth at the International Peace Walk with IRIS (Annually, Fall 2015-2017)
- Helping serve at Food at First (2013-2017)
- Various service activities on mission trips to Rosebud Sioux Tribe Reservation and Luque, Paraguay
For a list of people you may contact as references, please email me, Sarah Canon, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!